Abdominal Liposuction – No matter where you go, your body is right there with you. Hopefully, you are happy with it. Based upon our physical pre-disposition and circumstances, including age, weight gain and post pregnancy, people can develop a tummy tire, love handles and accumulate excess weight in the abdomen that will not go away – even with diet and exercise. As men and women age, fat accumulates and muscle tone diminishes and it becomes harder to shed pounds and unwanted pockets of fat across the stomach and thickening in the mid-area of the body.
This battle of the bulge is very common, which is why abdominal liposuction is such a popular procedure. The Smart Lipo® body sculpting technique makes this procedure gentle and results in smooth natural-appearing contour. In addition to using the cannulas to gently remove unwanted fat with minimal trauma, we often find it helpful to further tighten the skin with a laser during the procedure.
We have found that with the Smart Lipo® technique, skin tightening is so good that there are very few patients who actually need a highly invasive tummy tuck with terrible incisions and significant recovery times. This is an excellent minimally invasive alternative to a tummy tuck. Smart Lipo® will restore your youthful shape and change the way your clothes fit.
You will be pleased with your waist again and will need to dig up those old jeans!
Here are some other advantages:
- The results of this procedure are remarkable and noticeable in a very short period of time.
- Refine your physical appearance and experience a more sculpted, flatter, tighter and more defined waist area
- Smart Lipo® and other tumescent liposuction techniques (such as laser liposuction) are performed with only light sedation, so patients are still awake and cognizant throughout the procedure.
- Most patients are back to work within one to two days.
FAQ’s about Abdominal Liposuction
Click on each question to reveal the answer.
- Is abdominal Smart Lipo® the right choice for me?
- Men and women alike benefit from abdominal liposuction. The Smart Lipo® procedure is the most advanced form of liposuction that allows for moderate amounts of fat to be safely removed with little downtime. Patients will see immediate results. Men regain definition, even the most desired six-pack appeal in many cases.
- Women get a slimmer, more refined waist and they regain a shapely, contoured figure. Men and women, both recapture a smoother stomach area from their younger years, before pregnancy, age and weight gain. The recovery time is quick and typically, there is minimal swelling and pain after the procedure.
- What should I expect from the procedure?
- Patients are lightly sedated with a couple of valium pills but they remain awake and coherent throughout the procedure. The process is simple. A couple of tiny incisions are made in the upper and lower abdomen through which the area is numbed (like in a dentists office). Then, the cannulas are introduced through those incisions. The Smart Lipo laser literally melts the fat which is then gently suctioned away.
- The cannula is only 3 mm in diameter, so it leaves no unsightly scars. Abdominal liposuction lasts only one to two hours, and patients are able to walk out of the office with a newly sculpted body. Patients are not permitted to drive, however because of the medications that are administered for relaxation. Each patient will need to be picked up after the surgery and driven home.
- What determines a good candidate for this procedure?
- It is recommended that patients are in good health when undergoing any procedure to reduce risks and potential complications. Abdominal liposuction is not recommended for individuals who are grossly overweight or obese. This procedure is not a means of removing weight in excess, it is a more a procedure to remove moderate amounts of fat and contour the mid-section and waist area of the body.
- This procedure is not recommended for people that have fatty deposits under the abdominal muscle and around the organs because this cannot be accessed by any kind of liposuction. To help find out if you are a good candidate, please email us or call for a free consultation at 480-800-4501.
- Will the surgery leave scars or excess, sagging skin?
- The tiny incisions used in abdominal liposuction rarely leave any sign of the procedure. The skin closes very quickly and in most cases the tiny incisions are mistaken for freckles or are completely invisible in just a few weeks. By contrast, scarring is a big concern with tummy tucks and traditional liposuction where incisions are much larger. Smart Lipo® causes significant skin retraction, reducing loose skin.
- In patients with more skin or older patients, typically Smart Lipo® is done in conjunction with laser skin tightening AND post-procedure skin tightening treatments using non-invasive broadband light. These procedures in combination have revolutionized the treatment of the skin with liposuction and have kept many patients from needing to undergo a more invasive tummy tuck.
- Are there any post-surgery side effects?
- Liposuction done with tumescent anesthesia is a safe and targeted procedure and the Smart Lipo® technique is the most gentle liposuction technology available. The side effects are minimal and any discomfort or mild soreness goes away quickly. There are no stitches and the tiny incisions heal within a few days and leave no noticeable scars. Patients may have mild discomfort and swelling, but they can walk and resume normal activities usually the next day..
- Each patient is required to wear a compression garment under their clothes around the procedure area for about one week. There may be some swelling in the abdominal area after the procedure, which will subside quickly. Significant improvements may be noticeable even in two weeks with the result getting better and better for a few months.
- Can this procedure affect fertility and the ability to get pregnant in the future?
- This is an important question, but the answer is no. Abdominal liposuction is superficial procedure that only removes fatty deposits from the region under the skin and above the muscle, so it will not affect muscle tissue, organs or the ability to have children.
- What if I do not want to be totally awake during my procedure?
- We NEVER use general anesthesia for liposuction procedures because we feel it is simply unsafe. However, we do offer the option to do the procedure under “Twilight” which is essentially a slightly stronger form of sedation than the usual relaxing pills we provide for you. This type of sedation is EXTREMELY safe and adds virtually no additional risk the way general anesthesia does. Please let us know if this is something that you wish to discuss.
To learn more about abdominal liposuction, please contact our friendly staff to set up a free consultation with the doctor at 480-800-4501.